Every year I keep a playlist of the songs I have listened to a lot. These are not ranked in order of preference, and I don’t make any claim that these are all songs released in this year, but they are the soundtrack I have used for our families play, work, and occasional podcast outro. I’m a little disappointed that I wasn’t able to spend more time with new albums by Kacey Musgraves, boygenius, or nearly enough hip-hop. Be that as it may, here is what my 2018 sounded like!
- Ring the Bells, JOHNNYSWIM and Drew Holcomb (whole album).
- So Tied Up, The Cold War Kids
- &Run, Sir Sly
- Shine On Me, Dan Auerbach
- Sit Next To Me, Foster the People (whole album)
- Way Up, Chris Howland (feat. CASS & Sajan)
- Feel It Still, Portugal
- Shoe Boot, Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats
- Millionaire, Chris Stapleton
- Yellow Bike, Pedro The Lion (Looking forward to album release 2019)
- This Year, The Mountain Goats (2005)
- Cover Me Up (Live), Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit
- Get Back Right, Lecrae
- Broken Headlights, Roscoe & Etta
- Galatians 2:20, The Welcome Wagon (whole album)
- We Labor Unto Glory, The Porter’s Gate (whole album)
- Grace Alone, The Modern Post
- World Without End, Greg LaFollette (whole album)
- Tyler Talks Back – I’d Rather Be A Dog, Allen Levi (whole library!)
- I Heard The Bells, Beta Radio (Christmas Album is great!)
Album of the Year: None! I can’t say I really had an ear-worm recommendation that everyone should at least listen too. I had a couple that I liked, a couple that I used in my personal times of worship, and a couple artists I will watch on in the future, but no album really was that defining piece of art that I usually identify with a certain year (past albums include, Jason Isbell’s, The Nashville Sound (2017), Switchfoot Where the Light Shines Through (2016)…etc.).
Goodbye Road – EP, JOHNNYSWIM & Drew Holcomb: Great five song EP with a haunting title track, a great solid cover of Tom Petty’s I Won’t Back Down, and one of my favorite songs of the year listed below.
The Book of Common Prayer – Greg LaFollette: Reflective worship that I have found helpful in my personal times worship.
Allen Levi’s music: A singer-songwriter with an amazing life story. Start by listening to the interview conducted with Levi on The Pivot, episode 042.